View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 05:15 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I can't offer any professional advice, but let me pass on some thoughts. Other members will do the same.

How old is your water heater - i.e., what year is your trailer?

As the diagram shows, the only way to isolate the water heater is to undo the inlet fitting, and cap off the pipe. If you do this, be sure to turn off the electric and gas heating elements first.

Quote:
Almost replaced (ran out of time) the anode rod tonight on new to me TM
Did you get as far as actually putting a wrench on the rod and trying to turn it? I think you are saying that you did not, and in this case, that is good since turning it might open new leak paths.

Quote:
...appears to have been present for some time
I agree that your pictures seem to show this

Quote:
...is it possible the leak is just at the anode rod and this rust is just surface rust and normal?
I don't think it is normal.

Quote:
...what is my risk in using it 1x with a small leak?
If you are worried about a sudden massive failure, I think the risk is low. It will continue to leak as before, of course.

My non-professional assessment would be that since the leak is long-standing, you can use it, at least in the near term, with some precautions.
o If you leave the camper for any length of time, turn off the water supply or the pump, and relieve the system pressure by turning on any faucet and letting it run for several seconds
o Before going to bed, turn off the water supply and relieve the system pressure.
o Be sure you know where the system drain valves are located, and practice opening them once or twice. They are outside, under the trailer on the road (left) side. Two are just ahead of the left tire, the other two are a couple feet behind the left tire. The ones ahead of the tire will drain the water heater fastest. Don't burn yourself when you open them.
o In case the leak suddenly gets worse, have a bundle of cloth towels handy, and a couple rolls of paper towels.
o In your driveway, fill the water heater, pressurize the system, and watch it for an hour or so. If the leak remains a dribble, and doesn't get worse, you are probably OK for your maiden voyage.

The water heater may have to be replaced, but when you get home, it would cheap and easy to remove the anode rod, flush out the tank, install a new rod, and see what happens.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote