Thread: 3M VHB Tape
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #33
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdlaut View Post
The "Non-linear load, crest factor 3:1" was in reference to the 2000W continuous power rating. I used a microwave for 6 years on our boat. It was the 3000W Multiplus.

I chose the Victron because of the seamless integration of shore power, and solar, and the ability to blend them while charging.

I misspoke earlier when I said I intended to use a B2B for charging to front battery. I will actually use the a/c output from either the Victron or shore power to supply power to the existing WFC charger / distribution panel. That won't affect the existing wiring and makes the DC wiring much simpler.
Your new Victron will make the existing WFCO (an inferior product) completely superfluous. If upgrading to a multiplus, I would choose the "12v" model, for reasons described above.

"12v" is a power bus at up to 14.4 volts (I would configure it for lower "bulk charging). In current WFCO wiring, the 'battery port" is bi-directional and the WFCO converter boad provides 12v power into the other "main port" (only as input to the board). In your new wiring, the WFCO fuse board should never need to be used on your battery charge path.

Both ports become available as input-only ports (from Victron's internal converter, and/or victron-attached "12v" batteries.).

It is possible to configure other model of multiplus with batteries as "48v" (actually around 52 volts), if you're a power pig and want to build a 16s battery (taking the place FOUR 12v batteries, and using only one BMS). The the battery is no longer "redudundant" for the case of BMS shutdown, and the 48V -> 12V convert becomes a costly point of failure.

A configuration with "24" volt batteries (one or 2) is probably the worst of all choices, saving the cost of only one BMS while keeping most or all the "single point of failure" issues which are present in a "48v" configuration. The cost of the 4->12 converters and 48-12 converters is about the same. 48v at least saves the cost of 3 BMS boards, instead of just one.
In your current scheme (as I understand it), your tongue-mounted battery will be prone to theft and more exposed to possible low-temperature issues.

12v, in contrast, costs only another BMS board and some fairly short lengths of bigger wires.