View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Long ago, I did the same thing with the OEM battery box and a Group 27 battery, leaving them supported by the bottom skin. Some time later, the TM was being flat-bedded back from the Tennessee factory when the truck jumped a curb, hit a speed bump too fast, or something similar (the driver insisted he didn't hit anything), and the box broke through the lower skin. It dropped into the tray below the skin, pulled some of those screws out, and rolled onto the pavement. Then it must have bounced along a little bit until the battery wires broke loose.

Must have been a big surprise to the driver following behind.

If you cut a hole in the bottom skin, it weakens it, making it more likely to rip. Especially if the cut isn't perfectly round, and has some jagged cuts.

At any rate, I don't take exception to what you did, but I would sure feel more comfortable if some kind of added support was under the box. Or screw some blocks to the sides of the box, and let the blocks bear on the top of the floor, supporting the box from there.

Bill
Not sure what year/model you are talking about but on my 2004 and on my 2009 2720SL, that couldn't happen. The double battery box is twice as wide as the OEM and its sits exactly on the trailer's frame. I can see how the (much narrower) OEM battery box could possibly slip between the frame and the outer wall of the trailer if the sheet metal tore.

In this picture, the battery sits just on top of the frame in the upper right corner of this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3598.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	22401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03803a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	22402