View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 02:32 PM   #5
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Thanks. I realize that. Didn't have the seal puller or seal/cup seating tool - they are on my list for "things to have".

If I replace the hubs, they will be coming with new bearing and races, either pre-installed or in the package. If I reuse the hubs I have now, I have removed the bearings, cleaned and examined them and they are in excellent condition, so I would reuse them - in the same hub they came out of so the races will match their respective bearings. Seals always need to be replaced anyway. I am just wondering how many folks follow Dexter's instructions regarding using Permatex on the grease seal before installing. If it is a rubber coated edge on the seal, it isn't needed, but many folks don't use it either way. Looking for recommendations.
I have never used any type of adhesive/sealant on standard grease seals. If the seal is the correct size and properly installed, it should never move. I just wipe excess grease off the hub and install the seal. I do wipe a light coat of grease on the seal lips. This keeps them from sticking on initial install and use.