View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #20
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Could you use a clamp on rubber reducer?

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-4...s%2C315&sr=8-3

Here's an ABS trap reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/Genova-Produc...s%2C367&sr=8-9

There seems to be all sorts of 1.25" P-traps available.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1.25%22+a...ref=nb_sb_noss
The part that needs reducing is at the end of the curve where it connects to the elbow, so those sleeves won't work... Thought about that, but there isn't a straight length of pipe to slip it onto, and there are a lot of P/J-traps around, and I have been looking for about 4 or 5 days now, but anything I have found that is the correct dimensions and shape (ie, that will fit in that little space) are all 1-1/4" at the tub end, but 1-1/2" at the tank end of the curve because the 90 degree elbow going to the tank pipe is 1-1/2". Our elbow is 1-1/4" - at the trap connection at least. I am not going to work any farther back than that. If I start cutting the pipe going to the grey tank, I will be opening up a world of hurt for myself I think!! I have to leave the elbow that is there in place.

I think what I am going to try is removing that protruding "ring" of abs (the one that would keep the nut from sliding down the pipe - the little red arrow) with a dremel, and use a rubber collar directly from the threads of the strainer to the abs. Keeps everything the correct length so everything still lines up, and adds a little flexibility to the structure. Going over to the local go-to shop and see what they have. If I'm lucky, I will be able to thread a 1-1/4" rubber coupler right onto the strainer threads.

The other possibility is to buy a new trap (our local shop has this exact one!) And cut the "basket" ends off of both (if it fits the strainer - I have the whole assembly with me to test fit!). Transplant the new one onto the old trap, connected with a rubber collar. The more I think about that, the easier it sounds!! Or cut the old one off, put on a fresh piece of 1-1/4" pipe with an abs coupler, and attach THAT to the strainer threads with a rubber coupler.

But no matter which way I look at it, I can't track down an exact swap. I could buy all of the pieces and build one (maybe!) like I had to with the dump valves, but that is such a confined space in there, if things aren't just the right length, there's no room for adjustment. And I need to get this part of the job done, so I can start on other things that need doing. Heading out in early July, and a month sounds like a lot of time, but I have spent 2 weeks just on plumbing between the pump, the toilet and now this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7222b.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	704.2 KB
ID:	22063   Click image for larger version

Name:	61v-LgW-v5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	22064