View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 11:53 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I’m surprised you’ve never been dumped out of the bed onto the ground. I’ve been able to teeter the bed intentionally as an experiment and I’ve heard of several others who’ve been evacuated when there was no emergency.
I've heard the same stories, and I don't doubt them. It would be hard to be wrong about being dumped on the ground. But I've tried to do it on our 2720SLs, and I was unable to make it happen. And I don't understand how it can happen, given that the bed supports swing out to within a foot of the rear edge of the bed tray, while several feet of the tray remain inside the supports. The leverage just doesn't work for me.

I'm not a small guy, and I have climbed out on the bed as close to the rear wall as I can get. Nothing. I've gone outside the TM, hooked my fingers over the rear edge of the bed tray, and actually hung from it. Again, nothing. I've gone inside the TM and tried to lift the front edge of the bed tray - I can do it, but barely. It is really heavy.

So there may be some construction difference among the models, 2619 vs 2720 vs 3324, etc. Maybe thicker plywood or MDF? In earlier days, tilting the rear bed was the emergency exit from the TM, so clearly it could be done at that time. But a number of years ago, TM switched to the rear window as an emergency exit, so maybe that was part of a construction change.

Perhaps this technique for getting into the TM should be added to the Locked Myself Out idea list - wadya think?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote