View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 08:43 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You said "I was camping" rather than "I am camping", so I gather you have found a solution, and are now just gathering knowledge for next time. Can you tell us what you did?

Right away, it depends partly on whether you locked the door using the deadbolt or just the snap lock. If the deadbolt is locked, you won't get anywhere with the door. If not, the credit card trick is the next thing to try.

When you slide out the front bed, is there anything to prevent you from sliding it back in, from the outside? All of our 2720SL's came with pin-latches that are supposed to be engaged as soon as the rear bed and front slide are pulled out. I immediately removed and discarded those latches. You would need to push up any velcro flaps, which is a pain - but hey, this isn't supposed to be fun.

The next best bet is probably to make the rounds of the windows. You may find that one of the door windows is slid closed but not latched. Rip out the screen, slide the window open, and stick your arm through. If not, check the big windows either near the door or across from the door. Again, you may find one that is closed but not latched. Once you get it open, you may be able to manipulate the lock with a long stick of some kind. Or slip a small child through the window, and tell him how to open the door. (When I was 10, my Dad did this when a builder locked us out of our new house to which he didn't yet have keys. I was hailed as a hero!)

If nothing else works, either call a locksmith, or break a window in or beside the door. It will cost about the same either way.

BTW, I searched YouTube for "raking a door lock", but didn't come up with much. I've seen it done - you need a couple special tools called a rake and a tensioner. These don't do you any good if they are stored inside the TM, of course, so you need to keep them somewhere outside the TM - perhaps right next to your spare keys.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote