Thread: VA to NV Move
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
DancinCampers

It has been a very rainy trip so far.

Left VA on Sunday, blew a TM tire just north of Fayetteville, NC, on I-95, only 143 miles from home. Had to open TM & change tire during heavy rain from approaching TS Gaston. TM very hard to open on shoulder tilt, but managed to be back on road in about an hour.

Didn't want to travel without spare so stayed at KOA just north of Fayetteville, setting up in the heavy downpour.

Monday contacted Goodyear dealer, he couldn't get Marathon tires till Tuesday. Asked him if he had D rated tires which would fit, & he did. Bought two Goodyear ST205/75D14, Model HMG2020, had them mounted & balanced. Total $164. These tires say Property of Uhaul on the side, but dealer says he buys their overproductions. He sells a lot of these to the local Army units. These tires are used by Uhaul on their heavy trailers & car carriers. They are rated for 2040 lbs at 65 psi. They sure do look heavy duty. I'm not sure if Goodyear sells these retail or not.

Next stop was KOA in Myrtle Beach, SC, very rainy stay. We cancelled plans to go to Orlando, turned right instead.

Wed we camped at AH Stephens State Park, GA. Just north of I20, Exit 148. Very nice park, level gravel sites, E&W hookups, some pull thrus. $18 nite. It looks like it was newly renovated. But watch out for the ants. Woke up the next morning & they were all over the floor.

Thu we camped at Maxwell AFB Famcamp, Montgomery,AL. Got one of the last overflow sites. Military campgrounds are filling up due to Frances. You see a lot of FL rv's & cars on the road & rest areas.

Last nite we arrived at the Famcamp on the Gulfport, MS SeaBee base. Very nice, & now full. Our refer door opened, & had to replace all our food which we just purchased at Maxwell. Our refer is a small homestyle unit, no lock on door. I've never had it open before, but will make somekind of a lock before we leave here.

Have seen many accidents on the road due to very heavy rain showers. Many folks don't believe in slowing down.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

More later.