Thread: Gas Struts
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Mounting points?

Bill's picture shows show the compressed strut completely vertical (with maximum lifting power), but I think that there isn't ground clearance to provide for that. That placement would also probably run out of working distance in the vertical position. (The 8" limit for maximum motion provides a total of 20" from the connection point). I assume that we're talking about a connection to the existing struts, and not a completely new structure. That makes this a 2D "math problem ", rather than a 3D situation.

I looked at the front-most struts of my 2619 with a tape measure (in the garage, closed. The gas strut is only effective for lifting the shell (a twisting when its own lowered position contacts the the lift arm at an angle. The limiting factors on placing the lower fixed" connection seem to be as follows:
  1. The maximum length of the extended strut is 19.7 inches. This creates a limit (in the shape of an arc) for the maximum distance from the strut lower mounting point.
  2. The compressed strut also attaches the lift bar at a distance not less than 12" minimum from it's lower mounting point.
  3. In closed position, the strut should have the largest possible angle from the horizontal bar.

Rule #1 creates a limit in "open" position, while rule #2 limits the "closed position. The pair of curves, and the desire to keep the fixed mounting point low, seem to land together at a point about 3-1/2 inches below the "lower" screw of the inner pair of screws which anchor the lift bar to the torsion arm. the torsion bar. The lift bar attachment would be about 14" from the very end. I attach photos, holding the socket extender end in the air at the approximate mounting spot. The second photo shows a black twist-tie at the location of the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	approximate mounting arm location for strut end connector.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	21734   Click image for larger version

Name:	approximate lower strut mounting point.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	21735