View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
I am still at the thinking stage for solar. If I were to install a solar setup up, I would definitely want to install an inverter so my AC would work. How does that get wired in? To the power box under the shower? I assume they come with detailed instructions? I am not an electrical whiz bang and this is stumping me. I assume I am over thinking it and it is straight forward. Right?
Thanks

2007 3124
Vancouver, WA (close to Portland, OR)
(Adding some clarity to what's already been shared by others)

Hi Mike- to accomplish what you've stated you'd like to accomplish (the ability to run the A/C from battery power) using off-the-shelf materials starting with an "average/factory" build TrailManor, you'd need around 100 Amp Hour of battery energy per each hour of A/C use- so if buying Battle Born (or other popular Lithium brands), think of needing one battery for each hour of A/C use.

To safely convert the Direct Charge 12 volt electricity from those batteries to 12 volt A/C you'll need an inverter (likely in the 3000 Watt size, to be safe).

To replenish the charge of your battery bank, while running the A/C at about the same rate that the A/C (running via Inverter) is discharging it; you'll need around 1200 Watts of solar cells.

The above configuration should, hypothetically, run a TrailManor A/C under perfect conditions...but it's almost never going to be "perfect conditions".

Tree cover, cloud cover, solar panel orientation, etc. will all impact solar charging.

There are multiple ways to attack inefficiency/ uncertainty of solar changing, but the most obvious are-
1. Minimize load demand (buy a more efficient A/C)
2. Increase battery bank size
3. Examine practicalities of pursuing your TrailManor running A/C on battery power and minimize (or abandon) expectations

You may be able to buy or build a battery bank of sufficient capacity to mitigate some of the cost (of purchasing name brand Lithium batteries), but there are still significant hurdles to accomplish what you've stated.

The basic design of a TrailManor, which is awesome for tow-ability, is not easily conducive to the desired results of running a stock A/C on battery.

For a background: I am halfway to being able to do what you've stated. I can presently run my A/C from my battery bank and 600 Watt solar array and am in the process of adding 400 more Watts and doubling my Lithium battery bank, so that I can have additional capacity.
-The extremely tricky part is balancing the ability to do that with the practical aspects of the TrailManor and its usability.

To address one of your immediate questions, the 120 Volt out of the Inverter needs to be wired into the 120 power side of the TrailManor's power converter to power the 120 volt plugs and loads. An auto switch-over device is used to ensure that the Inverter never powers that 120 volt side of the TrailManor's power converter when the TrailManor is hooked up to shore power. Search YouTube for "TrailManor solar" to find Matt Carver's channel (the Critter and the Butterfly) for an explanation and video of his installation of solar and that automatically switch-over device.

Rich

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote