View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default An Inverter must be wired be as close to the batteries as possible.

In general, the 12-VDC "12 volt" and "grounding" cables (between Inverter "input" and the battery terminals) need to be as short as possible, so that they do not consume power in wiring losses. If the Inverter is expected to run household appliances such as a coffee maker or microwave, those cables must also be very large. I use dual AWG 2/0 supply cables between my battery packs and my relatively big Inverter.

Although Solar power can contribute to the "12V" power draw on the batteries, the batteries themselves are the main source of power for an Inverter. The Solar system is wired to charge at the batteries (or their corresponding "bus" connectors, 12v and ground).

While the Solar system puts power into the battery bus terminals, the Inverter takes it away. The batteries themselves must provide any shortfall. If the Inverter is smaller than solar panels, or not being used for significant loads, then extra power remains to charge the batteries.
- - -
The most important questions, to ask you in return are: #1, how big are your batteries? and #2, what's the biggest appliance you hope to run?