View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #6
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I really do appreciate your input/advice but breakaway trailers aint one of them. I think I may have an old marine 12v laying around somewhere, I could slap that in. I will have to see if I do, and throw a trickle charger on it. Great idea!

While I agree breakaway switches are an important added safety measure, the incidences of their use is so minuscule as to almost be nill. (Incidents of trailer miles driven vs full trailer breakaways). It's almost a belt and suspenders issue.

To be deployed all these things need to happen, and in TM land with the arguably ultralight trailers that TM's are, a breakaway is extremely unlikely.

* Hitch pin either not used/broken, or falls out.
* Tongue latch not applied properly, not applied at all, broken or opens "all by it's self (see not applied properly).
* BOTH safety chains/cables not applied, falls off or breaks.
* And if you are using an anti-sway of WDH that's one more connection that needs to be misapplied, applied incorrectly or broken.

I actually searched the inter-web looking for examples of a breakaway system being used, and couldn't find it.

One last thing, as I tell everyone I talk to, safety signs, regulations and limits are there for your protection. Violate them at your own discretion. AFWWIW, I use my breakaway switch connection EVERY TIME I TOW. [OK maybe not THIS trip LOL]
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote