View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I wouldn't put it there. Prone to theft, and too hard to wire a big Inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
I would be interested. Sounds like you have thought things out well. We have our batteries on the tongue. Would this work there?
I would recommend against putting such a battery on the tongue, for a bunch of related reasons:
  1. In the 'normal' configuration, with the temp sensor and display built right into the battery box, it would definitely attract thieves.
  2. In the normal configuration, you would need to go outside to switch the "heat directly from battery" switch.
  3. In a custom configuration with a long cable between the battery box and the heater controller/display unit inside the TM, you have a new cable leading back to the display. It only two wires, but one is the temp control Sensor cable - a cable whose resistance must never be accidentally changed by crimping or bending with an insufficient bend radius. (They work by measuring resistance changes, and they're extremely sensitive to damage).
  4. The 'outdoors' placement has a lot more temperature stress (reducing the lifespan of the battery), and also tends to leak away generated heat from the heater pads in the wind. The heater pads must be engaged more often, and more power is wasted while they keep running.
  5. If I assume the acquisition to be related to typcial 120-VAC "jobs" in a Boondock (such as using a normal 120v microwave, or a hair dryer, or a coffee maker), through a big Inverter, then the wiring distance to the Inverter is greatly increased. Since those wires would need to be #1 or even #1/0 (huge) it would be extremely difficult to make the connections and wire back to a dry Inverter location within the TM. It would also create another exterior 'advertisement' that the battery is exceptional, and worth stealing.
The "under rear bed" and exterior battery compartment locations are both very good. Placing inside forward benches also works, that's where I have my batteries and Inverter. This can save weight on the tongue, while preserving interior under0the-benchstorage sapce - but the risk of theft is really too high IMO. (It maybe depends a lot on where you camp, of course).