View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

I read through the links that Bill posted to see what I could get from them without pictures. harveyrv from the first link I believe had the solution if you're looking to get ideas. However, if you have an air conditioner with side vents, you cannot simply cover the side vents up.

A quick lesson first. To cool the air, you first have to compress it, then let it expand. If you make a small "o" with your lips and blow gently on your hand, the air feels cool. When the air is allowed to expand it cools, and this is why the air feels cooler when you blow this way. If you leave your lips in a large "O", you get little or no cooling effect because the air coming out is not expanding.

So, if you take some air that has been compressed, it will get warmer than the ambient air around. If you blow the ambient air over the compressed warm air, it will cool the compressed air back to the ambient temperature. Then if you let that compressed air expand, it will get cold.

If you compress and expand regular air in an air conditioner, you will get some cooling, but not a lot. So, air conditioners fill some pipes with a different gas (ice rinks use ammonia, automobiles use R134a, and I believe even that is getting replaced with something less harmful to the ozone layer). This gas stays inside the pipes. So, when this gas in the pipes is compressed it gets warm. The air conditioner blows the ambient air over the pipes (actually a condenser which looks almost exactly like a mini radiator) to make the compressed gas in the pipes the same as the ambient temperature. The gas in the pipes is then allowed to expand into an "evaporator", which looks like another type of radiator. The gas in the evaporator is now extremely cold, and can get cold enough to freeze water. This is why AC units can freeze up in humid environments. Regular air is blown over this cold evaporator which has the effect of cooling the room air.

Hopefully you are still with me now.

If we go back to the condenser side, which is the back of the AC unit, facing the outer wall. I took a peek at the airflow (from an online drawing) and saw that window mounted air conditioners take ambient air in through the sides and circulate it out the back. In the side mounted AC Trailmanors, you are getting 1/3 or at best 1/2 of the desired airflow going over the condenser. Thus, my suggestion of covering up these vents would be detrimental to cooling. Even the AC units that advertise that they can be installed in a wall, if you look closely they still need the side vents clear.

Because HarveyRV was installing an AC unit where there had been none, I suspect he placed it so that the side vents on both sides were clear. The baffle he installed must have been a vertical piece to prevent the hot air coming directly from the back of the AC from mixing from the ambient air entering the sides of the unit.

HarveyRV has given me some ideas, but I have a few other important tasks to take care of first, like a powered potty vent.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote