View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool My Swing Hitch was built by a pro welder ""friend" of the dealer in 2006.

It may have started as a factory hitch: In 2006, only the hitch side "swinging" portion had a crossbar in the factory version. But it may have been entirely built from scratch - the "factory-like" crossbar used 5/16" steel L-bars, while the factory original might have only been only 1/4".

The biggest difference (from the factory Swing Hitch in 2006) is the addition of a crossbar on the TM side. When the hitch is swung closed, it fits very tightly inside the C-like hitch-side crossbar (which is the factory equivalent, built by welding two L-bars together). And, the hitch pin reinforcement on the street side (the side which swings away in my case) was built by bending a stick-up tab of that "inner crossbar" over the TM portion, rather than merely welding an entirely separate small plate. (One side was the bending side, the other sides were welded). This inner crossbar is made of 1/4" steel. Other add-on clamps for the two hitch pins were made of 5/16.

The first photo shows the inner crossbar (TM side), with just a bit of the hitch-side crossbar shown on the left. (This is a "mostly swung-out" photo). If you look closely, you see that the outer hitch-side crossbar has had the portion of weld which sticks out ground down to be level, so that the two crossbars have tight contact when it is swung into travel position and clamped by the hitch pins.

In the second photo, I show the detail of that 'bended-then-welded' street side hitch pin reinforcement. The 3 other reinforcements (lower one on street side, both on the curb side) are made of 5/16 metal, but independent flat and L-shaped pieces.

Finally, my swing hitch has safety chains on both Street side and curb side, linking hitch and TM portions together for additional safety. The hitch side has a ring with threaded lock, the chain has one link fully welded to the A-frame arms on the TM side. The chains are stronger/bigger than my "1K" swing hitch chains.

It all deserves a fresh paint job, it's developed a bit of rust over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinuba-Hitch-two-crossbars.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	18978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinuba-Hitch-bent-AND-welded-reinforcement.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	18979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinuba-Hitch-Swing-Side.jpg
Views:	38