View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Another minivan story

[quote author=KdHammonds link=board=20;threadid=2129;start=msg14950#msg1495 0 date=1090202024]We have towed our 3023 from MI to Florida. We live in Ohio and don't plan on travelling to the Rockies with this rig. However, we feel east of the Mississippi this rig is acceptable.[/quote]Your story is a great example of the mantra that a couple of us have been preaching for quite a while. WHERE you plan to tow is very important! The common question "Can I tow a TM with such-and-such a vehicle" is pretty much meaningless until the WHERE has been answered.

The Edmunds article cited by ccc6588 a few days ago shows the other end of the spectrum - some of those monster trucks could tow a TM anywhere, including straight up the side of the Grand Canyon! Most of us live somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. We don't want to buy too much truck - that's expensive. But we don't want to buy too little, either - that's dangerous, and it quickly wears out the vehicle. In order to make the right choice, it is important to define our needs - WHERE AND HOW we are going to tow. For many of us, a modest V-8 with a towing package and a decent wheelbase is a good choice (like Ray's Tundra or my Explorer). Some folks can work with a little bit less because they have made choices that make it possible. And some people really do need a monster truck, based on their intended usage.

Some vehicles are obviously too small for any towing at all. And among the range of most vehicles, there are no "one size fits all" magic answers. So I applaud you for fully thinking through the question, and coming to a conclusion that works for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote