View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Response #2: If you're using the Truck as a remote Panel installation.If

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmschooner View Post
We almost always look for shade when we camp. This is why the New Ideas for Solar Panel Installation intrigued me, the truck could be parked with panels in sun even if the TM is in the shade.
If I had to put two * 160W on the truck exclusively, for this reason - I could use a more "standard" connecting to a TM Solar Controller by wiring the panels in parellel. This is lower voltage (about 18V, the output of one panel), with double the current. Or, I could wire the panels in series - lower current (the current of one panel), but double the Voltage. The power is the same at the panels.

Higher Voltage is generally less safe in an accident. Lower Voltage is more safe, but looses more power by generating wasted heat within the long wires. (Resulting in "Voltage Drop" when the power finally reaches the MMPT through the wires.)

Putting batteries in the truck, with a charge controller, and connecting at 12.6-14.4V (Battery Voltage, under light discharge and maximum charging voltage) costs more, and has the highest "Voltage Drop" power loss. But it does avoid putting batteries elsewhere, within the TM.