View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
DancinCampers

Default Re:shower hot water/latch

Quote:
With respect to the hold-down latches, I had previously done the RTV trick, but the entire catch had been completely torn out of the screw holes with jagged aluminum left as evidence of the pull-away.
I had the same problem with my rear corner latches on the shell. I purchased plate aluminum from the local hardware store. It was 4 inches wide & I cut it into 3 1/2 inch lengths. I used 8 pop rivets & Marine silicon adhesive to attach them to the shell, then attached the latch with pop rivets. So far so good.

I used a similar procedure for my front rock guard awning, which has also pulled loose from the skin.

I think the factory setup works ok as long as the force is applied parallel to the shell, but over time the shell & arms get loose & the force is applied at an angle.

One word of advice, perform this with the shells closed. I did mine with the TM opened, & I had to re-mount one latch because I put it over the original holes, & it was misaligned when I closed the TM. I had to redrill & reattach.

This is not the prettiest solution. A neater approach would be to insert an aluminum channel up into the shell. But this would require cutting out a section of the tubing along the bottom of the shell & removing enough foam to insert the channel.

Take care

Dan