View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #8
DancinCampers

Default Re:Clamshell Sag/Floor Damage

Goodday;

RE; Floor Damage

We have similar spongeness in our TM mainly between oven & sink. Our unit has square wheelwells & curbside was damaged previous to our purchase. I think water has gotten in under the vynal, although I haven't removed it yet.

Our floor has aluminum skin on top. When I replaced our carpet I had to rent a professional staple gun from Home Depot. My home Arrow unit would not penetrate. I think there is plywood between the foam & aluminum, on the top layer of the floor. You can determine for sure by looking in the battery cutout area, or where the refrigerator fan is mounted.

RE: Shell Sagging

The lift arms on the shells are adjustable using the 4 bolts. These are set initially by the factory. They basically clamp around the torsion bar. I'm not sure how much adjustment is available. You might start by measuring distance between the bottom edge of the arm & the top edge of the torsion bar to see if there is a noticeable difference between the four arms.

I suspect these are not easy to re-adjust after assembly, because when closed they are under tension, & when open you have the weight of the shell pushing down. When the factory installs the shells they hold them in position so there is no weight pushing down.

If I was to try:

I would stabalize TM, support shell near the arm I was adjusting with hydraulic jack & loosen bolts

To raise shell I would raise jack slightly & then hit the end of the arm with a block of hardwood

To lower shell I would lower jack slightly & then hit torsion arm with a block of hardwood.

Then retighten bolts.

Rather than adjust the bolts, I would first try to adjust the space beneath the torsion bar & the hole it goes thru the frame. These holes are fairly large. I would determine which arm needs to be raised, & shim underneath the torsion bar where it enters the frame, thus raising it. You could try this rather inexpensively by placing a jack under the arm and raise it.

PS: I have over 4000 staples left over. These are Duo-Fast Staples, 9/16 inch -5418-D, Galvanized. If anyone is going to replace their carpet I would be happy to send you several hundred. I found out that when you rent these Duo-Fast Staple guns you can't buy just a few staples. They come in boxes of 5000.

Have a great day.

Dan