Thread: Backing aids
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Default Re:backing aids

Hi ---- good questions (I had them too)
Excuse bullet format of response but after 38 years of military life the habit is hard to break!
(1) Doesn't support WD/Sway hitch --- true but with my 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning (with adjustable air springs installed) I have never found the need for them as the rear end of the truck is relatively "light" to begin with (my old English teacher would kill me as she taught me to "never use a preposition to end a sentence with) and the rearward placemen of the TM axle does away with the need for a sway preventer option. I have followed the arguments of WD/Sway hitches as presented on this site and have come to believe the best responses ressemble the question the amateur golf duffer posed to the Pro when he asked what the Pro thought of the new clubs he had bought for $2000 --- "well they won't hurt your game"was the Pro's PC response.

(2) What gives when misaligned? Certainly not the tow vehicle to any great extent. The trailer tongue jack appears to handle the required movement but this appears to be well absorbed as a result of the inward wedge and upper ramp features of the hitch. My tongue jack does not even have a wheeled base (probably more desireable to absorb misaligment movement) but it melds well with my hitch without protest/noise as long a I keep the the trailer tongue and tow vehicle hitch at their original connect/disconnect height (initially determined by slow trail and error adjustment to allow a smooth coupling).

I'm not pushing the hitch in any manner but it works great for me. Cheers, Dick
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote