View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Batteries: AGM vs LiFePO4

LiFePO4 = Lithium Phosphate

First off....I realize how expensive LiFePO4 batteries are. Yikes. Like super duper expensive. But they weigh like 28 lbs for a 12volt 100Ah battery. And supposed to have super long life. And can safely be discharged 80 to 90%.

See this Q&A From Amazon....

Question: Compared to regular deep cycle batteries, approximately how many years should this last during regular daily use on an off-grip property?

Answer: Thanks for the question. The LiFePO4 battery has the potential to last 3x-10x longer than a traditional lead acid battery. With any battery, it's cycle life all depends on how you treat it. Many lead acid batteries are rated at around 1000 cycles when you discharge it 50% on a consistent basis (50% DOD). For a Battle Born LiFePO4 Battery, you can discharge the battery 80%-90% and it will still last 3000-5000 cycles. Even after the 3000-5000 cycles, the LiFePO4 battery should still have 70%-80% capacity. Lighter weight, longer life and more usable Ah (ampere-hours). see less
By Continuous Resources, LLC SELLER on November 16, 2017

So I am wondering if any TM owner has tried the lithium batteries and if so what are their thoughts?

I dry camp with no hookups so I rely on my battery and solar to keep me going for two week stints. Currently I only do two 2 week trips a year, but hope to retire in 3 or 4 years at which time I will plan to have 6 or 7 two week trips. I don’t use a lot of power but would run fan more if my batteries were better.

BIGGEST CONCERN: if i am reading all the research correctly and I can pretty much get the same amp hours from one 12v lithium battery as I get from two 6v batteries. Do you think this is accurate? Because the weight is only 28 lbs vs about 140 lbs, and if it has longer life span than AGM, then it might be worth the high cost of the lithium battery. They have excellent warranty. 3 years, 5 years pro-rated.

Thoughts? It would cost a little more than double what 2 AGMs run.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote