View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like Larry and Bruce, I am in the solder-and-heat-shrink camp. But I don't usually use butt connectors of any kind, because I don't own a good tool to compress it into a good solid connection. Some folks squeeze the connector with pliers or dikes, or hammer it flat. I've had enough connections pull apart that I don't trust either method.

I also don't tape, since electrical tape tends to dry out and curl up, turning a protective layer into a water trap. Self-fusing tape might work better - has anyone tried it?

Instead, I do two layers of heat shrink tubing. A small diameter piece, about an inch longer than the soldered splice, is centered over the splice, and shrunk into place. Then a slightly larger diameter piece, about 3 inches longer than the splice, is centered over the earlier piece and heat shrunk into place. In my mind, anyway, both the inner and outer layers form a barrier against water, and the outer layer takes the hit from any flying road sand or debris, protecting the inner layer. The extended outer layer also minimizes wire failure from flexing fatigue.

Incidentally, I have found that the only reliable way to shrink the shrink tubing is with a heat gun (a hotter version of a hair dryer). I've tried matches, butane lighters, a propane torch, a soldering iron, and even twirling it over the flame on the gas stove. None of these produce a tight, well-formed covering. Fortunately a good heat gun is available from Home Depot for around $16, or Harbor Freight (especially if you catch a sale).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote