View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Red face Slightly OT details. I *like* WDH on my 4Runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 2004 2027 and an 8 cylinder 2002 Toyota 4Runner. And yes it is true that Toyota doesn't want you to use a weight distribution hitch on a 6 cylinder!
Yeah, but their actual vehicle build structure seems to support it OK. For small trailers, such as TM, Gen-4 works great with WDH, in both the V6 and V8 versions. And I have owned and towed the TM with both vehicles. (Our V8 was totaled in the middle of a "chain-reaction" accident from behind; we replaced it with a V6-Sport.)

The Gen-4 V6 has the hitch receiver bolted into a square square frame "cross-bar" (with 4 very good bolts). But the cross bar is built in 3 segments, involving 4 welds. The V8 is stronger, bringing the frame out as a round tube, and welding the hitch receiver to the frame tubing (fewer welds, stronger structure, no piercings).

But the difference seems irrelevant for towing small TM Trailers. IIRC the V8 style was "rated" for 7300 lbs, and the V6 style was "rated" for only 5000. Even with the caveat that TMs should be towed with more tongue weight than some other kinds of trailers, there's adequate "headroom" on the V6 versions to handle a 2619 or 2720 pretty easily, and perhaps some larger TMs as well.

I can't comment on the 2016 hitch receiver mount structure, because I've never looked at one with "performance and capacity" issues in mind. It might be a lot different, and a lot weaker, than the "Gen-4" assembly which I own.

In 2002 - in that year, Toyota introduced the "new" 4Runner line-up mid-year, so I don't know if yours is older (Gen-3) or newer (Gen-4). I can't comment on the older design. In practice, regardless of Toyota Marketing statements, the V6 does fine with a WDH - loaded with a small TM at about 4500 lbs GVW. I have (probably) the fattest, heaviest-loaded "2619" on the planet, and I've used a WDH consistently. After over 10 years of use, the hitch receiver and crossbar frame members still look great,:unbent and uncracked, with no issues on the welds. In contrast, running without a WDH (which I did for about a week) lifts the front end of the 4R, badly reducing brake power and steering control.