Thread: Trimetric Meter
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Trimetric Meter

Quote:
Ray, I used stranded hookup wire from the shunt at the battery to the CAT5 connector. Of the four wires two were 20 gauge and the other two 22 Gauge. 22 Gauge is easier to crimp into the female CAT5 connector.

I prefer to use stranded wire in the RV due to the vibration. Normal CAT5 wire is single strand. I cut a commercial cable into two pieces to connect the meter. I was pleased that it used stranded wire.

I'm always reluctant to use a connector for something other than its intended purpose. You would not want to plug a standard network adapter into this connector or it could damage the NIC. Likewise it would not be a good idea to plug the meter into an actual network.

Having the meter plug in allows it to be removed and tucked out of the way when you're running off AC. However, it does need to remain plugged in to track AHs or % capacity.

Ray
Great thinking. I'd forgotten that Cat5 cabling uses single strand and not the more flexible, vibration resistant multi-strand (haven't done any connector crimping for a year or so)...but now that you mention it I had a Homeresque DOH!! moment. Sure is great to have another really knowledgeable techie contributing to this forum!

I'm contemplating whipping up my own digital ammeter to measure current in/out of the battery...bought the parts (digital voltmeter display, shunt, necessary voltage controller, etc.) last summer with the intent of installing same in the dash of my Jeep so that I could keep track of current going to the trailer while traveling. But never got around to doing the circuit layup...and then traded the Jeep for a Tundra which has no place in the dash for such a display. If I do get a "RoundTuit" for this project this summer, I would have the same issue you faced...how to bring the relatively low voltage difference signal off the shunt forward about 12 feet to the ammeter. Stranded and/or shielded cable oughta do the trick.

Not particularly interested in cumulative AHs but do have a periodic curiousity about the current flow at any given moment, particularly how much the panels are putting out at various times.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote