View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I can see the front wheels too high on the Highlander" as you can see in the .sig, I only have a slight rise with a 430ish tongue weight, was more before I put the two GC2s and all of the solar on the rear compartment. I get no sway at all.

Might help to know the lever ratio on the highlander. Have never seen it mentioned but seems critical to TV attitude when htched. It is the ratio between the wheelbase and the distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the hitch ball. Anything 3:1 or over is good, less has more of an effect. My front rise is less than an inch (more like 1/2").

ps just an observation but the first rule of the script kiddies at any corporate help desk is "CYA" and they are paid to keep you from anyone who actually knows. For example my heep is rated at 500/5000. But the same chassis and receiver assembly is rated at 740 lbs/7400 lbs with the Hemi and an eight speed. Also I am continually monitoring TV coolant, oil, and transmission temps because I am AR but so far towing the TM does not noticeably raise any temperatures. All GCs do have a 55 sq ft limit on trailer frontal area however the TM has only about the same FA as my Jeep so not an issue.

Bottom line is that there are A Lot of different considerations that must be made when considering a TV and tongue/gross weight is just be beginning. There are many different but simple factors that should be considered and I use a spreadsheet (but then do that for many things). My motto is "no surprises" and prefer to overdesign.