View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #16
grubbyjeans

Default Atwood 15026 air conditioner

Just finished installing my Atwood. I'm working the pics now and will have them posted here tomorrow. The install went very smoothly with a couple of small caveats. I'll explain with the pics.

I took the trailer out last week and disconnected all inside. Took the trailer down and swapped the units inside the garage. A neighbor helped me take the Coleman down and place the Atwood on the roof. I had to dodge a rainy spell. Once the unit was outside I dropped the Atwood in place without assistance.

Set the trailer up and completed the install today. I'm really impressed with the Atwood. It cooled the rig from around 90 to 74 in a very short time. It is quiet enough that my wife and could carry on a conversation at normal volume.

More later....

Later:
To begin, if you store your TM in a residential garage, you MUST HAVE 83" clearance in your door. This unit, cover installed, is 14" so it is 2~3 inches taller than the Coleman unit. I was aware of this before I ordered my Atwood. I resolved the height issue by removing a 30" section from the header jam (not the header) of my garage door. I mitered it so the cuts would run away from the front /---------\. I attached the plug with two deck screws and it only takes a few seconds to remove the plug when moving the TM in or out. I also raised the up limit on my garage door opener.

The install sequence needs to be altered as the duct location is of major importance. If it is not correctly placed, you cannot install the plenum in the recess. Locate and attach the duct first. That will give you the location for the mounting bolts. Once they are installed, everything is per manual instructions.

I only have one issue with this install. Drilling holes for the mounting bolts compromises the barrier that is formed in the top of the ac platform. While this shouldn't be a problem, seals do fail. All the bolt holes are inside the seal and a failure of the sealant around the bolts would cause a problem with any system. A failure of the seal under the unit wouldn't likely leak inside because of the lip formed in the top of the a/c platform. Having to drill four, rather large holes outside that barrier didn't excite me much. Should I have a leak in the future, I'll remove the plenum and inject automotive windshield sealer in the gap between the pan and the platform, around the screws. I've used Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer for years and have had very good results. Its advantage is that it flows into spaces before the curing process begins. It is very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 AC Install.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	14728   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 AC Install.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	14729   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 AC Install.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	14730   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 AC Install.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	14731   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 AC Install.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	14732  

Name:	006 AC Install.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	14733   Click image for larger version

Name:	007 AC Install.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	14734   Click image for larger version

Name:	008 AC Install.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	14735   Click image for larger version

Name:	009 AC Install.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	14742   Click image for larger version

Name:	010 AC Install.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	14743  

Name:	011 AC Install.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	14744  

[SIGPIC]http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8372&dateline=1403045 022[/SIGPIC]
2010 Sport Trac -> 2009 2720SL
Travel accessories: Dobro style resonator guitar, Mandolin, Guitar

Albums
grubbyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote