View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Good Job!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinite View Post
I installed the cage yesterday. As Art and Joyce noted, there is no plywood to attach the cage in the area under the tub. So at the aft end, I attached a bracket to the cage and then to the box frame, then I attached the cage to the 2 x (?) at/near the outside edge of the exterior wall. At the forward end, I attached the cage to the steel gusset angle that extends out from the box frame behind the wheel well. In the middle of the cage, I attached the cage support "clip" to the box frame too. All in all, it seems very robust and I hope it is never needed. I paid a local fab shop to make the cage from 3/16" aluminum plate, following (somewhat) the design I found here from a "MisterP" post from 2010. The cage weighs approx. 12lbs., about the same as an extra heavy duty mud flap. I paid $98 for the cage, and about $5 for the attaching hardware. Here's my attempt at pictures;
That will save your pipes for sure. I think everyone should do this...blowouts are not if, but when and on the street side is the worst!. I am thinking of making a cage inset that will go inside the wheel well to protect it from coming apart like mine did at the arc radius seam. It spewed rubber all inside the cabinets under the stove so I want to avoid that problem as well. I have heard of a blowout taking out cabinets and all...yikes! I already have a new wheel well that I can use as a pattern to cut the expanded steel grid. Then all I'll have to do is weld the two pieces together.
Tom...the endless mod man...
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote