View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
BradS7535

Default Roof Center Trim Caulking

So I've read most of the topics on the roof trim pieces and caulking them but I just wanted some clarification hopefully. When I washed my TM last weekend I noticed that the caulk had slightly separated from the roof center trim piece (still well attached to the roof, pic below).

1) Does this mean I WILL have a leak if/when it rains in SoCal?
2) Is there a caulk seal below this trim piece that is the main seal from leaks?
3) From what I've read, it seems like this is a common occurrence of the caulk not sticking to the plastic trim piece. Is it a major problem to leave it like this if there are no leaks, or what do you guys do about it? Seems like even slight movement in the roofs could cause even new caulk to separate from the plastic trim and it would be a pain to have to re-caulk every time it separates.

I'm wanting to put my Solar panel on, but due to the size it will straddle the center trim. I'm going to see how difficult it is to unbolt the panel from the z-brackets if it is mounted to the roof to make sure I can remove the panels later if I need to re-caulk the center trim piece.

Your thoughts and suggestions are as always, appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14680844238361038491538.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	13663