View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default meRe: Brake Controllers

PMFJI, but this is a topic I've extensively investigated as I regularly tow on steep mountain roads.

The Voyager is a traditional inertia controller...it uses a mechanical pendulum to detect decelleration. On flat terrain this works fairly well.  But in hilly/mountainous terrain, applying the brakes even sliightly on a descent will cause excessive trailer braking since gravity will be acting on the pendulum as well the decelleration of the tow vehicle. And on an uphill grade, gravity will reduce the effects of decelleration on the controller so you get less than desired trailer braking.

By contrast, the Prodigy uses solid state missle technology accelerometers and continually updates itself to the current angle (ascent/descent) of the tow vehicle. The result is it applies the same amount of trailer braking for a given amount of tow vehicle braking regardless of whether you're going up or down a grade. It also means that the control unit can be mounted in a wide range of angles.

As I regularly camp in the Colorado mountains, I'm very frequently either ascending or descending steep mountain grades when I'm towing.  I have the Prodigy and couldn't be happier with the way it adapts itself to the road grade and always gives me the same amount of trailer braking for a given amount of tow vehicle braking.

If you tow on anything besides level, flat terrain the Prodigy is worth the extra cost. And it has one extra benefit...unlike any inertial controller, it also works when backing up.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote