Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:tow vehicle

[quote author=fcatwo link=board=20;threadid=1712;start=msg13059#msg1305 9 date=1082056212]The Odyssey locks up in 3,4 & 5 like your Ford and I've found that by holding a steady speed and watching the tach I can control what it's doing by just slight movement of the pedal as described above. I can also verify how fast the temp rises when to torque converter is unlocked. I can almost see the needle move. Something else that really surprised me is how fast the trans temp goes up when sitting in-gear while stopped in traffic. I'll bet a lot of trans problems could be prevented by just kicking em out of gear during long waits. I pull mine out before it gets to 200f but I suspect it would go off the scale if I didn't.[/quote]

Frank -

Good info - thanks. I kind of suspected that, but had no real info.

By the way, my wife, who is not particularly technical but has a lot of patience, has made a game of the "slight movement of the gas pedal" that you describe. She watches the tach, which runs about 2100 RPM in 5th gear with the TC locked. The object of the game is to keep the tach from kicking up, while maintaining speed as well as possible. Her goal is increased gas mileage, not lower transmission temp, but either way, it works for me!

She challenged me to do the same. She is much better at it than I am.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote