Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #18
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Default Re:tow vehicle

Ray

I think you'll get far more interest in this subject than you anticipate and I for one would like to hear more about your installation and Toyota transmissions in general.

We have about 14K trouble-free miles of towing our lightly loaded (no air, microwave, awning etc) 2619 with an 02 Odyssey (sans 2nd and 3rd row seats) but are admittedly still near GCWR with just the two of us aboard. We have the Honda auxillery coolers and a trans temp gauge with the sender installed between the torque converter and coolers. The ODY has a cast aluminum trans case (no pan) and a magnetized, inset plug so a pan installation is next to impossible. Other Odyclub.com participants have similar installations and the question perplexing us is whether a few minutes of high heat will destroy the oil. I've seen 260f for a few minutes in the Idaho mountains and often see 200-240 in rolling hills on hot days. 90% of the time we'll be at 180f or lower however. It's doubtful the trans sees these temps because the fluid goes to the radiator and aux cooler before getting back to the pan. Any opinions on this? The fluid (with one partial change at 15K) is still pink at 28K. Might mention that Honda just announced a recall of 600K of their 02-04 Ody/pilot/Mdx 5sp automatic transmissions to check for damage of 2nd gear due to oil starvation.

Back to your Tundra: We like the Ody because it will swallow our tandem bicycle, tow the TM with gusto and get 17.6mpg while doing so. I'm concerned about breaking it however so have been looking at RWD's that will do at least the first two. The Sequoia is one candidate and I'd be interested in your opinion of it. I think I'll wait for the 05's before jumping to see if they put the 5sp automatic in more of their V-8's. The 4dr Tundra would be good if it weren't so long.

frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote