Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
camperboy

Default Re:tow vehicle

We tow with a Ford Ranger with similar specs. The rig has proven to be satisfactory even in the mountains of Colorado. The Ranger has pulled our TM nearly 10,000 miles so far. Take the advice to get a good brake controller. Also, make an periodical inspection of the wiring harness and the wires going to each brake. I had one break going down a pass in CO, lost the brakes on the drivers side of the TM. The Ranger is a 4.0L rated at 160hp and 225 ft/lb torque with a 5 speed automatic OD. Even in those high mountains climbing steep grades we were content. We weren't holding up traffic.

You might want to consider getting a trans temp gauge in addition to your cooler. I blame heat for some trans problems that are developing. If you see it getting warm you can back off a bit. If/when I replace the trans I will be installing one in my truck. My opinion on OD. Ford says not to tow in OD. I agree and don't. I tried it, and the trans hunts too easy and the motor lugs. The effect on fuel economy with OD off is minimal and the motor, while running at higher RPM, is closer to where it produces the most usuable power. I believe this applies not matter the manufacturer.

Camperboy