View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I believe all 2417s come with the cassette. Both I purchased new had the cassette. It was never discussed as an option. I spent lots of time with the dealer, and talking with Bob Eickoff about the entire trailer. BUT, there is nothing that says you have to wait until it is full (6 gals x 8 lbs = 48 lbs). I have never filled ours, even on week-long trips. Of course, DW prefers to go in the woods when we are camping, for some reason, so it doesn't get all the use it could. Still, if you empty every couple of days, there would be less than 2 gallons in the cassette each time. Very manageable.

Also not sure about your shell-opening plans. Yes, if you drop the tongue as far as it will go, the front shell will open easier, then tongue-high to raise the rear. But, you must pull from the ends, not the sides, as the torsion gets all out of wack if lifting from the sides. Binding shells don't open well, at all.

Finally, closing could be an issue. If you have the torsion bars tweaked to make opening easier, closing is more difficult. You need lots of weight in the stirrups to get the latches to catch.

I would try it on a live TM before getting too far down the road towards a decision. Would hate for you to take delivery, then find it just won't work.

A cursory search on Caravan tow capacity says "2000 lbs without tow package". Does not give a weight with tow package. But, we weigh 3,500 lbs loaded for camping, with full water (40 gal tank, plus 6 gal in water heater), food, and everything else we take. Could cut weight by not filling with water, and taking less stuff, but we use almost everything every trip.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote