View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Rear Vision Camera System for Tow Vehicle

Quote:
RockyMtnRay and Bill,

As I have come to learn in the last 4 months, reading a couple hundred threads on this board, no one's post is complete until RockyMtnRay and Bill weigh in. And I say this with much respect - you guys know a lot and when it comes to TMs and camping, I know nothing yet - but am willing to learn from the masters.
Quote:
Thank you for your input on my little project and especially the endorsement of the McKesh mirrors. I will look at them at Camping World the next time I stop in (lucky to have one within a half hour from home).
Err, um, I very seriously doubt you'll find McKesh mirrors at a Camping World store. They aren't in the on line catalog and being fairly pricey for just a mirror, definitely not a mass market item. The relatively inexpensive clip on and clamp on mirrors that Camping World does sell are highly prone to vibration IMHO. I just did a google on Mckesh Mirrors and the only seller that turned up was Hensley Mfg, the maker of these mirrors. This, BTW, is the same Hensley that designed and makes the highly respected but oh so pricey (~$2500) Hensley Arrow hitch. Basically a small niche company that makes very top of the line products.

So basically, you're either going to have to find someone with these mirrors or take it on faith that they're best mirrors available. IIRC, there has been at least one thread here at TMO.COM on mirrors... this is one of the more recent...as usual the vote is overwhelmingly for McKesh amongst those who have tried the others.
Quote:
Until then, I will plug away and fine-tune my little project and learn what I can from it (and update my web page with my findings of course).
I wish you the best with it. One suggestion: instead of trying a system mounted on the Liberty's roof (about 25 to 27 feet ahead of the rear of the trailer), how about one mounted at the rear of your TM's roof (ala jniles thinking)?. Bit more complicated cable wise but at least you could actually see who/what was directly behind your trailer and have a decent idea of how much clearance there is between the rear of the trailer and a vehicle in an adjacent lane. It would also be a great boon to backing the trailer into a tight camping spot.
Quote:
Hope to meet you guys out on the trail one day.
I share that wish.
Quote:

Thanks again,
Most welcome.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote