View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
For a while I have been thinking about an opening assist for those lacking a complete complement of limbs.

This ranged from a full screw assist something like a garage door opener, then an A-frame and pulley arrangement but all were complicated, am looking for something simple.

Then I remembered my father's Citroen DS-19 (ever see four on the tree ?). It has a hydraulic suspension. To change a tire you raised it all the way up, slid a jackstand in place, and lowered all the way down & surprise: the tire to be changed was now off the ground.

Taking this one step further I realized that the infirm were likely to have a power hitch jack. Since the problem is mostly in the first 18" of movement & something of gedouddathtway after and the front is much more difficult than the back I thought of the Citroen method.

Of course to test this I needed an electric hitch jack. For many years when faced with something new I make a practise of finding something inexpensive and use that to determine what I really, really want. About 50% of the time the inexpensive one turns out to be "enough".

So checked out HF. Their 69899 list $199, sale $129 less 20% = $103.20 seemed like a good start. Did add a $20 one year service.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Electric...f92b8&vxp=mtr#

My neighbor bought this one, but it only lasted one season. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote