View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

First, determine if you want monocrystalline, or polycrystalline panels. Mono cost more, but are more efficient.

I can't recommend portable kits, as I only have a single 100w panel mounted on my roof. It recharges my batteries daily, even with canopy (camping in the Rocky Mountains, which is different than the tree canopy of the east).

I camped three years with only one battery and one panel. We went 7 nights several times with no shortage of power. But, I installed LED bulbs, and we didn't waste power.

I now have a second battery, unintentionally. Should never be short of power. If you don't have a way to re-charge (I see many discourage using TV to recharge, as it is very inefficient), two batteries will likely die within 10 days.

You should be able to get a portable kit for much less than $500, with at least 120w of output. That should keep you powered as long as you want, unless you are always in heavy shade.

I like my mounted panel, as I don't worry about it walking off. Nor do I have to aim it several times a day. It depends on where you camp, if a mounted panel will work well for you. I love having solar, as I don't worry about state of charge.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote