View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
stormpeakco

Default Everyday vehicle with adequate tow capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamper View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm entering the shopping market for a SUV. I'd like the tow capacity to be north of 5,000 lbs. so I can have more flexibility with packing my 3023 and traveling more Rocky Mountain passes and higher elevations.

I've noticed that the current batch of mid-size SUVs (like Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Traverse) quote a standard 2,000 lb tow capacity but a 5,000 lb tow capacity with their tow package. I'm skeptical on how a tow package can more than double the tow capacity. Your thoughts?

So I'm looking at larger SUVs such as Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon. These are in the 6,000-9,000 lb tow capacity.

So what SUVs do you suggest I look at?
(p.s., considering used vehicles say 2010-2014 vintage due to sticker shock of some of these 2015 models!)

Thanks,
John
TC John, (IMO) the ideal tow vehicle is one that may be utilized every day and decent at towing the TM on those occasions. A few TMOs have 3rd generation Durangos (w/ factory tow package) and seem to be satisfied with the overall performance, handling, brakes, safety features-air bags, cargo carrying capacity/3rd row seat, mpg, parking, wheel base and amenities outside of towing our 2720QB (w/ WDH) in the Rockies (620#/6200#, w/V6. Really wanted to avoid fueling, garaging and parking a larger land yacht). We considered a 4 Runner though liked the DD more for virtually everything but for the serious off road performance (not something we do a lot of on a regular basis).

This is nothing like our previous first generation Durango and my Brother in law from Texas (who previously owned Benz SUVs in the last 25 years) just purchased a DD for their everyday vehicle, long trips to Virginia and to tow their boat to the lake. There are other contributors on this forum who will present other decent vehicles. Good luck with your search. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote