View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 PM   #53
stormpeakco

Default wireless rear view camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by atunesmith View Post
TM newbie's first post. Hope I get this right. Many thanks for all the priceless mod info. Researched rear cam systems and collected these as selection criteria:

CCD much preferred over CMOS camera - much better pic detail and quality.
TFT LCD monitor preferred, minimum 4.5", but CCD camera makes other monitors look good enough.
Minimum 12 LED camera lights for optimum night vision and depth.
Minimum wide angle view = 100 deg. (most I see are 120+ anyway)
Switchable Reverse/Mirror feature
Display clips onto TV rear view mirror
Weatherproof (some publish metrics)
Metal housings and brackets - not plastic
Shock-proof construction (there are some over-my head metrics out there)
Hard wire it. Many posts on wireless units still having problems with signal noise and interference. Easy to run wires under the tow vehicle and trailer. Protective cable covers cheap and available
Agree with cig lighter power. Huge safety benefit having it on all the time. (Many insurance companies agree.) Even showing up for motorcycles!

Optional:
Three camera mounting bolts on the camera sides for easy precise aiming.
Some displays include other monitor inputs - DVD, GPS, smart phone...
Two cameras and cables (for TM and TV) nice for hookup and TV safety benefits.
Remote control? (Have to reach to find the remote anyway??)
Wireless mic and audio (I prefer to yell out the window!)

All of the above may cost a bit more, but with exception of DVD, remote, audio and home theater stuff, I can't justify skipping any other features.

I'll have to mount to top of TM, unless I want to keep a close eye on the bike rack. Thief deterrent. Also Bill's comment about headlights "blinding" the camera.

iPhone and Android setups sound promising if you could tap the phone's video-out and run it into a decent sized display. Small iPad or Android tablet might work well ($$$). But still trying minimize smart phone interaction in the car - again for safety.

BTW - Best value bike rack for max two bikes seems to be the relatively new Kuat Beta for frame mounted receiver hitch. Simple/strong/light aluminum design and construction. Tilt-away. Folds up small. Selling like hotcakes. Had to dig a little to find in stock.

Feedback welcome. This site rocks.
Agreed. Forum Rocks and the collaboration is very much appreciated.
Just picked up our new 2720 and on the drive home driving I-70 above 10K', I desperately wanted to see behind the TM before passing some tractor trailers struggling to maintain 30 mph up the pass.
I recall speaking with a few TMOs on this forum (thank you for your insight) and since our sojourn, I have been searching wired and wireless rear view camera systems. Drawbacks and limited satisfaction clearly is a common theme with many of the higher end (price) wireless systems (Voyager, RVS, Tadibros, Rydeen etc etc).

Searching other RV forums, I reviewed a rear view camera discussion on airforum (over 320 posts). Toward the end of '14 and early '15 the discussion focused on the 12V Netgear router wireless based system from RVrearviewcamera.com. It uses a camera (external or internally mounted), digital wireless router (in the front of the TT-our two 12V cigarette lighter plugs remain live when our TM is collapsed) and use of a newer generation smartphone.

http://www.rvrearviewcamera.com/home.html
the two minute video is impressive as are the early reports by the airstreamers who have installed one...appears this wireless based system is newer technology & is ~0.5 times the cost of the Voyager...thoughts, insight and any experience from our members??
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote