View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I must be missing something, just pulled 180 miles from South Florida at 65 with bursts to 70 when passing and while getting passed by a semi at speed was noticable (Turnpike is not very wide) I never felt any real sway (and have experienced it before, usually when a tire was about to go)

Jeep's wheelbase is 115" but it does have a short tail (38" from center of rear wheel to hitch ball), IRS, and while the lightest GC it has a 50/50 weight distribution and the factory tow package. All of these are stability factors and I have never seen the traction control light while towing (was why I dumped the Goodyears early and now have Michelin LTs but was mainly felt in wet weather).

Another is that I carry very little in the TM, other than the furniture, and at most a 1/2 tank of water: most travel gear goes in the Jeep.

It is as I've said before, the best tow car I've ever had (and that goes back to 1970 and a lot of miles towing). YMMV.

My tongue weight was measured at 460 lbs (after removing the WDH mounts) and while only a 9% margin on my 500 lb TW max. I really do not want any more load on the TM 3500 lb axle and that needs to be a consideration as well.