Thread: RAM 1500 Towing
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmboyd View Post
Dave, I think you're asking about the newer 8-speed V6 that Dodge now makes. Not what I have, but I love my V8 hemi. Around town I avg about 18 mpg and towing the TM about 14mpg. I've also got the Tow/Haul feature that my understanding is intended keep Trans from shifting so much.
Thanks Cindy! To clarify, I am talking about the new 8-speed transmission mated to the 5.7L (with the Multi-displacement System) and the 3.21 rear axle ratio. My friends that own these RAMs are getting amazing mpg (20+). Even though RAM rates the tow capacity of this set up at 8300 lbs. (Quad Cab), I started this thread to see if any of my TM buddies are currently using it to tow with. My concern is the relatively low axle ratio, although Consumer Reports says that this is somewhat mitigated by the transmission.

So far, no one's come up on this thread towing with that package, but maybe there's no one pulling TM's with that setup yet. My other online research usually yields results for much heavier trailers.

And Tim, I drove a 2013 Ecoboost (with Max Tow) and really liked it. And Bill, I'm test driving a 5.0L F150 today.

Decisions, decisions

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote