Thread: Security issues
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Art has the right idea. Assuming your house key fits into the deadbolt lock, remove the deadbolt from the door and take it to a hardware store. Most can do rekeying, and it is not expensive.

Incidentally, way back in 2008 (post #6 above), when Pop Beavers said "all TMs are keyed alike", he was not correct. The compartment keys may be alike, but the entry door keys are not. Been there, tried that, each TM has a different entry door key.

If your house key does not fit into the lock on your TM, then you have no choice but to carry a separate key for the TM entry door. Incidentally, on my TM, one key operates both the knob lock and the deadbolt, so no need for two keys there. I actually leave this entry-door key in the tow vehicle, so I don't clutter my keychain, and I don't accidentally leave the key at home.

Incidentally, in my opinion, the deadbolt provides all the security you are going to get. The knob lock won't make you any more secure, so I don't even use it. But if you are a fan of the knob lock, it can also be rekeyed to match the deadbolt.

As for the compartment locks, it is my understanding that there are a few (but very few) different keys for these locks. The entire industry uses these few keys, not just TM. All of the compartment locks on your TM should work with the same key, but since it is a different style key from the entry door key, you cannot make them the same. If you want more security for the compartments, you might be able to have those locks re-keyed, but since there are a number of them, it can get a little pricey. Again, my opinion is that it is not worth doing. But then, I don't carry anything real valuable in the compartments, and I've never had anything stolen. And again, I leave the compartment key in the tow vehicle with the door key.

Just my thoughts, which seem pretty much in line with earlier posts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote