View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Terry -

Whatever that picture is, it is not really a 14" tire and a 15" tire, is it? According to the Goodyear website, their 14" Marathon Load Range C tire has a diameter of 26.6 inches, while their 15" Marathon Load Range D tire has a diamater of 28.1 inches. Less than an inch and a half difference in diameter. The picture appears to show several inches of difference.

The Marathon line doesn't have a Load Range E until you get a 16" tire, and even then, the outer diameter is only 30.7 inches. This still looks smaller than the big tire in your photo. What am I not seeing?

And incidentally, I have to disagree with the thought that a 14" spare is a problem for a trailer retrofitted with 15" wheels. If one of the 15" tires blows, there is no reason not to install a 14" spare in its place. The fact that the trailer is running a tiny bit out of level (less than an inch) is not a big deal. Of course, the mismatch is not something that you would run for a long time - after all, there was a reason that you got rid of the 14's - but you can certainly run it for long enough to get to a tire store. I agree that you don't mismatch tire sizes on a car, but the reasons don't apply to a trailer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote