View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Wrench

Default Re: What can a Dodge Caravan pull?

I pull a 1995 3023 with rooftop AC with my 1999 AWD Grand Caravan equipped with the 3.8L engine and 4-speed transmission. I added an auxilliary tranmission cooler and run a K&N air filter with the airbox restrictor removed for a bit more power. I have an equalizing hitch. I've had no sway, handling or braking issues, although the GC uses up brakes pretty regularly, so I keep an eye on the pad condition to be sure they have lots of life left. Typical trip mileage has been 13-15 mpg. My trips invariably lead me into the mountains, so that's why the mileage is not so great. My only complaint is power in the hills and cooling capacity. It'll always pull the unit, but I've found myself at full throttle just maintaining 45 mph under extreme conditions. Making matters worse is the undersized radiator, which cannot be increased. You'll find the temp gauge will determine your speed in the hills on hot summer days. I've never had to stop because of a severely overheated engine, but I'll sometimes have to reduce speed in the hills on 95 deg. days to keep the temp gauge from reaching all the way to hot. Slowing down for a while has always let the temp drop.

The vehicle is clearly marginal for pulling a 3023, but I've always made it there and back, and have always felt safe.

eric