View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Did you get the feeling that the "no longer made" verdict was because you have an earlier Model 80, and the parts have changed? I doubt it, but it is worth asking.

If Trailmanorman can meet your needs, that is the best solution.

Thetford is notorious for refusing to sell parts. We have had several discussions about the problem on this board, mostly concerning the Slide-EZ valve, or parts for it. Thetford is especially bad in the summer, when demand for their stuff is high. They seem understaffed, and rather than try to handle requests, they blow you off.

Last year I had some work done by my local RV Service place, Lee's Family Trailer Sales in Windham, Maine. While I was waiting to talk to the mechanic at one point, I wandered over to the Parts counter, and chatted with the girl there. She confirmed that Thetford is one of the worst suppliers they deal with, but that Thetford does respond to requests from RV service shops rather than individuals. To challenge her, I asked her to pull up a catalog listing for the gasket and seal kit for the Slide-EZ valve, which Thetford insists cannot be purchased alone. She opened up her electronic catalog, found the item, and told me she could have it in a week.

I think that is what is going on here. Thetford is just being a pain. To confirm my "diagnosis", I just emailed the same girl at the Parts counter, gave her the part number for the slide, and asked if she could get it. I'll let you know when/if she replies.

As for a jury rig if you need something fast and are handy with tools. I would go to Home Depot (etc) and buy a 1x1 stick of hardwood. Cut off an appropriate length, cut a slot in one end, and plane an appropriate ramp slope onto it, using your existing nylon slide piece as a template. Coat the piece with wax (or hard bar soap, which is even better), and tap it into place. Should work fine.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote