View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
FujiPedaler

Just an update for all.

We had a Yakama 4 bike carrier "Fail" just last month while driving on I 90/94 in Wisc. Fortunately a fellow traveler told us our bikes were dragging so we stopped and discovered that their was only about 1/4 inch of metal left holding the whole thing to the trailer hitch which I was able to pull off after I removed the bikes and the carrier and put them all inside my 4Runner. It could have been a terrible accident because there were so many people on the road if it had let go with the two bikes and the largest part on the carrier careening down the highway.

It was 8 years ago when we had purchased the carrier long before we thought of Trailering.

It dragged the bikes and ground off 1/2 of the pedal and toe clip of my wife's bike and destroyed the front wheel and booth sets of tires and tubs.

Have since found out that the only bike carrier that is recommended for trailer is the Swagman and their warranty is just for one year.

Both Yakama and Thule do not recommend and will not warranty their carriers if used on a trailer or a motor home.

Not sure what we will do. We do have a Thule roof rack with 2 "Haul-a-vaders" for our two Kayaks that work really great, and a bike carrier mounted in between but I need a ladder to reach the bike. So for the time being we will put one bike inside the Trail Manor along with the ladder and the other on top of the TV (4Runner).
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote