Old 01-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Furnace thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I would think that the primary advantage of a digital thermostat would be the ability to program various start-stop times. If you like the time-programmability - having the furnace come on before you get up in the morning - then by all means buy a digital unit.
Question: If one were to forget to delete/disable the program, wouldn't the heater attempt to continue the cycle - whether or not someone was there to notice? If so, what would happen if the owner folded and parked the trailer in storage, upon return from a trip, and the program continued. Seems possible the battery would suffer the slings and arrows of.........etc.

Denny (just thinkin' n' wondrin')
Same thing that would happen if you left the current manual thermostat on/off switch in the ON position with the temperature control in the middle of its range. A digital, programmable thermostat fundamentally does exactly the same thing the factory provided manual thermostat does: when the temp drops below whatever it's set for, a switch/relay closes to provide TM house battery voltage to the signal wire of the furnace. Then relays and timers in the furnace activate, etc, etc. The programs in programmable digital thermostats don't have to be disabled/deleted to prevent them from going into effect...everyone of these that I've ever seen has an on/off switch, usually of the three-way heat-off-cool variety.

However, I kinda sorta recall (and could be very wrong about this) that the switch under the bathroom wall also cuts power to both the water heater switch and thermostat when the bath is down. I seem to remember I couldn't get the water heater switch to even show a light on my TM until the bath was set up. (note: this is a very fuzzy recall). If this is the case (and from a logical safety interlock point of view, it really should be to avoid furnace or water heater start in a closed TM), then there's no issue at all if the programmable thermostat calls for heat when the trailer is folded...even if the owner forgot to switch the thermostat off.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote