View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Tractor tow with Gorilla Cart

Cactusking's question in the previous thread has gotten me to wondering if it would be feasible to use a modified Gorilla Cart and a lawn tractor to move my Trailmanor around my yard.
I have a John Deere X300 lawn tractor with around 15-17 hp. I used to use it to pull my Coleman Bayside pop up. The tongue weight would just about lift the front tires if I was going up a slope.
It occurs to me that a Gorilla Cart could be modified to have a trailer hitch ball attached as a center load and then pull the Gorilla Cart with my lawn tractor. Seems that would keep the tongue weight from being a factor with my lawn tractor. I think I have enough horse power for this.
What I am confused about is how to back up with a "double" pivot. The trailer pivots on the ball and the front wheels of the cart also pivot. If I have a welding shop add the hitch ball and plate, I suppose I could weld the front wheels from turning.
I know I have enough power to go forward, I am not sure about backing up.

At any rate: has anyone done anything like this?

Before I go to the trouble to buy and modify a cart I would like to hear from anyone who has done something like this. The idea intrigues me, but I am not sure it is practical and I might be missing some important issues.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote