View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Torsion bars or something wrong

Quote:
The tech wrenched on the side bolts that connect the arms to the torsion bar. The wrench team pushed and shoved and pulled and stepped until it finally went down a few times, but in the process I noticed that the torsion arm had somehow gone crooked in between the four bolts in the lift arms, which they tried to fix by tightening the bolts real tight and bending the lift arm back to somewhat rectangular shape with the vice grips.
If the rectangular lift arm has buckled, I would be very leery of leaving it in place, even if it was "straightened" with vice-grips. I think that the (round) torsion bar doesn't project very far up into the (rectangular) lift arm - someone correct me if I am wrong - so all the stresses of lifting and lowering are concentrated in this joint in the area of the four bolts.

Like Mike, I would insist that a certified TM service tech perform any repairs, and certify the results, and do so at the dealer's expense. It is clear that the wrench crew at this dealer has no idea what they are doing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote