View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A number of us, including me, have the Harbor Freight 600-pound dolly. There is a thread somewhere that talks about it a little - a Search might turn it up.

At any rate, I use it for moving the tongue of my boat trailer over a packed-dirt driveway at my camp. I don't know what the tongue weight is, but two of us can't budge it in a dead lift, so a few hundred pounds at least. It works well, outside of two annoyances.

1. Since I move my boat only twice a year, I find that the dolly tires are always soft when I need it. A quick puff from a compressor brings them back up - but you need to have a compressor handy. A full-size bicycle pump would probably do the job, but I haven't tried it. The ultimate solution would be to put tubes in the tires - about $6 each.

2. If I turn the dolly sharply, the top of the tire on that side hangs up on the underside of the trailer A-frame near the hitch. My quickie fix was to put a stack of washers on the shank of the ball to lift the ball about an inch. But a high-rise ball (maybe 2" of rise, cheap) would be a better solution.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote