View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Bruce

I am in the process of replacing another bag seal on my 2000 TM. Somehow water gets in even though I resealed the roof seam and the side walls look good.
With an older TM it is not a matter of will it ever leak but when will it leak.
I measured the old wood on the right front bag seal and it was 45.5" long X 2.5" wide and 1" thick. As you know it is difficult to find wood that is 1" thick, aka as four quarter.
Luckily our house had been remodeled recently and there was a piece of plastic wood left over from the exterior window trim that I had specified. It is 1" thick so I cut it down to the dimensions of the old piece. Being plastic it will not rot like the untreated soft wood TM had originally used.
I haven't put it in yet because I am waiting on a pneumatic staple gun and stainless steel staples (yes, TM was too cheap to use rust proof staples) I ordered from Amazon.
As you may know you have to remove the staples on the vinyl first, then pull up the vinyl so you can get at the 3 screws holding the wood to the wall. Or maybe your wood is so rotten that the whole bag seal just pulls right off? I used an old flat screwdriver that I sharpened like a chisel to get under the staples.